Aug 7, 2010

Training part 4 Construction

Construction
Just knowing how something goes together to hold up in a high wind and keep the rain out could be the difference in living at home or evacuating and becoming a refugee. Home Depot, Lowes, and many other Big Box stores often offer classes in different do-it-yourself projects that are usually free. Also, if you ever get work done on your home, or a friend is getting work done, stand around and ask questions. Most construction people I know are happy to tell you what they are doing and why.

Something I learned recently is that the Big Box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) have really low grade lumber. It’s often warped and has large numbers of knots, which makes it difficult to work with. So if you are going to get 2x4s and such, just be sure to look over each piece carefully to ensure that they are uniformly straight and clean.

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m the last person to go to when it comes to electrical wiring. I’ve managed to shock myself every single time I’ve tried to do something with electricity. Fortunately for me, I have a brother that is an electrician, but this is no excuse for me to not learn more. There may come a time when he or I are out of the area when disaster strikes, and it will be up to me to solve my own problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment