Aug 7, 2010

Training part 3 Food (Part 2)

Food Storage
There are many, many ways to store food. You can grow and can your own. Buy from farmers market like sources. Dehydrate. Buy dehydrated or freeze dried foods. Buy “plus 1” at the grocery store. (that means: Buy one more can of X than you actually need) I don’t want to make recommendations here, because my choices may not fit your needs.

But what I would like to talk about is storage of what you do have. Much like what you will hear about storage of anything: Keep in a cool, dry, place, out of direct sunlight. Depending on method, food has a shelf life of between 2 years and 30 years. This is always calculated using optimal conditions. IE: Keep in a cool, dry, place, out of direct sunlight.

In the Central Valley, summer heat could conceivably re-cook food in a can if left in direct sunlight day after day. Storing food in your garage is not much of an improvement unless your garage is air conditioned. When I had an apartment I would stock pile canned food and water behind my futon in the living room, and no one knew it was there or if they did see it, I would just say it was stockpile in case of Earthquake. This was true. Gina may be able to shed light on visibility of my stores, as she had been to my place on a number of occasions. I have heard of(But not used) extenders for beds that raise them off the ground, this would allow large storage space underneath. Closets are also a popular choice. Something that just occurred to me; If you live in a house, what about that crawl space underneath? Admitably, you could lose everything placed there if an earthquake takes out your home, but I think that risk exists anywhere you put your food in your house. My question is, does it stay cool under there? I know it stays dry.

Does anyone else have any ideas that they have used for storing large volumes of stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment