Jul 22, 2011

Homemade Laundry Cleaner

This recipe was taken from The Survival Podcast, and I fully intend to implement it as I am soooo broke, I need every edge I can get.

Here is the direct link to the pdf
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/docs/deb-pdfs/01-dryhomemadelaundrymix.pdf

This is the text of it:


Here is my dry homemade laundry mix – and I have been told you can use it in HE and frontload machines, because there is no sudsing agent in it I just started making my own laundry soap this year, and I LOVE it!

I use 1/2 a box of Borax, and entire box of washing soda, and 1/4 of a bar of Fels-Naptha soap grated. It is a dry recipe, but I store it in a water pitcher type container – with a handle and a tight lid, and I shake it up sometimes before I use it, just because it seems that the soap is heavier and settles down from the top.

It only takes one tablespoon per load (sometimes I use 2 for really dirty stuff).

I found all the ingredients at my local associated foods store – the box of borax cost $3.36 at Walmart, and $4.79 at the local store. The box of washing soda cost $2.99. The Fels-Naptha was $1.19 -and I only used 1/4 of it- so for the recipe it costs about $.30. This recipe can also use a whole bar of Kirks Castile soap instead of Fels-Naptha (it has more natural ingredients and has a different scent to it) and it costs $1.39.

So my total was $6.65. It made approx. 131 oz. (16 cups) of detergent. Using only 1 tbsp per load – that should be about 256 loads or if I used 2 tbsp. per load it would be 128 loads. Divide $6.65 by the loads and you get .025 for 1tbsp, and .05 for 2 tbsp.

No comments:

Post a Comment